Frequently Asked Questions About Fat Loss
Article courtesy of Muscle Research, published 26th July 2017.
I know you’re short on time, you’ve got that business meeting, hot date and workout to finish all in one hour. So I’m going to answer the most commonly asked questions regarding fat loss with quick, informative answers. Let’s go.
What is the Best Diet for Fat Loss?
None. The best diet is the one that you can stick to. Always make sure to eat a good balance of proteins, carbs and fats while staying within your calorie limits. The 90/10 rule works for most people. Eat healthy 90% of the time, pig out the rest of the 10%.
Do Low Carb Diets Work?
Yes and no. They work because it takes a lot of carbs to feel satisfied. More carbs = more calories = more weight gain. Carbs also hold on to more water and cutting them out makes you lose water weight. So no, you don’t need to cut carbs as long as you can control the calories.
Do Low-Fat Diets Work?
No. Most low-fat foods are just full of sugar and other processed crap. Fat is actually good for you.
Will Eating Fat Make Me Fat?
No. Eating good fats (nuts, oils, seeds, etc) can actually help you lose more fat as your body uses them to regulate your hormones and improve testosterone production.
How Many Calories Do I Need in a Day?
That will vary depending on your age, height and activity level but a good starting point is to multiply your body weight (in lbs) by 12. Example, 200lbs x 12 = 2,400 calories. Eat at this amount for two weeks, if you lose more than 2lbs a week (after the initial 2 weeks), add 250 more calories per day, if you gain, decrease 500.
Will Fruit Make Me Fat?
No. I don’t know of a single person that has gained weight eating just fruit (fruit juices don’t count). Fruit has so much water and fiber that you will be full long before you can eat enough to gain any fat. Fruits are also full of important vitamins and minerals that are important for good health.
Will Eating White Foods (rice, bread, pasta, etc) Make Me Fat?
No. Fat loss is about calories in vs calories out. I actually prefer white rice (jasmine) to brown rice as it's much easier to digest and doesn’t cause me to bloat up like a beached whale. Keep your portions in check and you will be just fine.